Got to the farm this afternoon and it didn’t take Josh and Sam long to get my hands wrapped around the handle of a shovel. Past experience told me this meant digging holes. I just hate it when I’m right!! πŸ™‚ Actually, all three of us had a shovel in our hands, not just me.

Seems the 5″ PVC pipe that carries water to the beds has cracked in a number of places and is leaking. Plus, it has proven difficult to maintain water pressure in a 5″ pipe. To make matters worse, the pipe is buried, but, fortunately, not too deep. So most of the afternoon was spent digging holes at strategic locations to expose the pipe. That meant digging something like a dozen holes around the perimeter of the growing area. The idea, as I understand it, is to cut the pipe at every hole and then feed a smaller PVC pipe through the 5″ pipe. The smaller pipe will be used to carry the water and improve the water pressure, the larger pipe will end up being the casing for the smaller pipe. Sounds good. We’ll see how it goes.

The rest of the afternoon was spent laying a couple of lines of drip tape and connecting the ends of the tape to the feeder line that runs along the end of the beds. Sam showed me how to seal off the nipples on the feeder line that won’t be used because they don’t line up with the bed, as well as how to install nipples into the feeder line, itself.

But first things first, the Massey tractor blew a hydraulic line the other day, so we finished hooking the new line up and refilled the hydraulic fluid. That’s the bad side of farm equipment — from time to time, they break down!

Grass was getting to be a bit much in some areas, so a volunteer mowed it down. I always wanted to ride one of those things. Hmm... better not say that too loud!

Sam and Josh refilling the Massey with hydraulic fluid.

Digging holes to find the pipe.

Where do you think it is? I don't know, where do you think it is?

Hey... it's right here and it's leaking bad!

And yet another hole. No point in showing all of them because they all looked alike.

Backing the tractor up so we can pull drip tape off the spools.

Backing the tractor up so we can pull drip tape off the spools.

And here comes Sam with the drip tape.

The flexible feeder line running along the end of the beds. The end hooks up to the green water tanks.

Nipples that won't be used have to be sealed off with a short piece of drip tape that has a knot tied in the end. The dish soap is used as a lubricant on the open end of the tape so it can slide on the nipple easier.

One nipple sealed off.

If there isn't a nipple where we need one, we have to put one in. So Sam is showing me how to install a new nipple in the feeder line. There is a tool that cuts a hole in the line, but I didn't get a pic of that. Sam is too fast and he won't wait on me!

New nipple installed. Now the drip tape we pulled earlier has to be cut and attached to the nipple using the same technique as described earlier with the dish soap.

Done! That Sam knows his stuff.

The beds down-line haven't been made yet, so we have to clamp the feeder line to stop the water flow at this point.

The feeder line hooked up to the water tanks.

Sam is going up to check the water level in the tanks. There is a hatch on top of each tank. You just open it and look inside.

Careful, Sam... I tried to get him to stop in the middle and wave, but he muttered something under his breath and ignored me. πŸ™‚

Advertisements